Topic: chumby.com is unreachable - wlan0 link is down

Am I getting this error on my chumby because the site is overloaded, or is something else wrong?

Re: chumby.com is unreachable - wlan0 link is down

Hmm that sounds more like your local wifi settings.

...although there's no question that the site is under a *lot* of load right now.

Usually if it can't reach the site, but the wifi is configured correctly, you don't get the "wlan0 link is down" message.

I restarted, and now it just says "chumby.com is unreachable." I'll try to restore the factory settings. Is it safe to just turn this thing off (it feels weird not shutting down cleanly smile). Can you email me with instructions for enabling sshd? I don't have a serial adapter. sad I promise I won't blog it. wink

chumby the next Champ ..  tongue

My sweet chumby could not see any networks when I got home from Foo (it had last night).  Pulling the USB wifi and rebooting fixed it . 

I am getting the 'register your chumby' message because the site is down.  I think it would be slightly more graceful to add a condition to that script.  The code is probably something like 'try to authorize, if you fail display the register message, otherwise rock on'  It would be slightly less confusing if the code was something like 'try to authorize, if you suceed rock on, if you receive a not-registered message go to the register screen, if you get no response, or a strange response, then display a 'the chumby or the network or the server is confused and I can't determine if I have been registered message.'

Oh, and going to chumby.com (instead of the correct www.chumby.com) redirects to http://chumby.com/corporate and spits out a rails error.

(i really really like the chumby)

I turned off the WPA security on my network. I got the error one more time, but it connected the second time. What's important is I'm up and running! Thanks for the help.

Well it's still down as i try to look at it....

Since the site's been digg'd twice I think maybe it is overloaded.

Actually you can always get in through some of the lower links (http://www.chumby.com/corporate/whatischumby)
don't know why the home page is giving the error....maybe they didn't pay the bill smile

network connection failed
chumby.com is unreachable
wlan0 link is down.

I want to use this thing SO BAD! sad
Any way to debug, without hacking my own rs232 iface?

Paul - try pulling the usb wifi stick out and reinserting it.  Mine was happier with the network after I did that.

Hi...I'm a complete outsider because I wasn't at FOO and don't have a Chumby. But I wanted to chuck in my observation that I've always had a problem with wireless connections not always recovering after interference from things like 2.4 GHz phones. The majority of the time the connection is reestablished automatically but a certain percentage of the time I have to manually reconnect (or disable and reenable) to get things going again otherwise the connection is never reestablished. I've had this happen with every brand of wireless NIC I've used. Do they all use Broadcom? Is there a problem with some shared chunk of code they all use which causes this occasional failure to reconnect automatically after interference? I don't know if this only happens when encryption (WEP or WPA) is enabled because I've always had WPA enabled.

Please note I'm just throwing this out as a possibility to consider...I'm not asking for support for my non-Chumby products here! smile