Topic: A stupid question

It is a stupid question, and I know its probably not possible, but would there be any way to run a bittorrent client on the chumby? Like, have it controllable through a terminal, and everything it downloads gets saved locally onto a thumbdrive?
I don't like leaving the power-hog PC on all night..

Just a question..

Re: A stupid question

Already there!

/usr/bin/chumbytorrent

Woah - excellent

SWEET! Now THATS what I call service! You guys are great!
Now to use it, I did chumbytorrent -s /mnt/usb /mnt/usb/my.torrent.file.torrent and all was fine except that the terminal window contents were showing up on the chumby screen.
http://i26.tinypic.com/icusjk.png

I did ctrl+z to run it in the background, and the text on the chumby screen went away, but I want to start a different torrent but I get told "Address already in use" so I tried killing the process with the kill command and its pid number, but it won't die. Is there a better way to stop it?

Again, thanks!

-Tom

5 (edited by gingerbeardman 2008-03-25 02:31:41)

control+z puts the app into the background, bring it back with the "fg" command (foreground). cancel the download by pressing control+c

@Duane: is there any way to stop the process displaying download info on the Chumby screen but keep it downloading? I tried > null but this only stops it displaying in my terminal app. I also tried various logging levels.

@Beastlykings: have you tried the -m option to easily run multiple torrents? Otherwise, you should be able to cancel chumbytorrent and restart with multiple input (.torrent) files and it will resume or begin each as required.

Thanks,
matt

This status text stuff is built into the client, and I'm not aware of a method of turning this off.  This client was created specifically for the downloading of firmware updates.  The program has specific code in it to display text to the display for feedback - it's not writing to a file handle and thus can't be redirected.

No problem.

Could you let me know which package contains the source to chumbytorrent? I might try recompiling without text display.

Hmmm, I don't see it there.  I'll figure out where it is and post it.

Thanks

10 (edited by gingerbeardman 2008-03-25 10:35:02)

Here's my turn to ask a stupid question... my command line skills are a little bit rusty.

What's the best of running chumbytorrent on a standalone Chumby? I can't run it in background with & because nothing gets downloaded. Running it in foreground requires me to keep my Mac on with terminal open.

Any ideas?

ps: activating night mode on the chumby hides the torrent status information, which is a reasonable short-term workaround.

Thanks,
matt

11 (edited by Beastlykings 2008-03-25 12:33:41)

@gingerbeardman, oic thats cool! One thing I noticed.. If one torrent finishes before the others, the program closes.. Thats not very cool smile is there any way to stop that?
I checked the help file and didn't see anything..

-Tom

EDIT: @gingerbeardman, about how to leave it running, I plan on setting up a debugchumby file on my thumb drive with my torrents and such. idk if it'll work, we'll see I guess smile
Only problem is, I can't seem to fg into a program by specify the program. I've tried "fg chumbytorrent" and "fg 3918" and a couple other things.. So I don't know how youi would check up on your files once they were downloading.

OK, please keep in mind that this client was custom tailored for a very specific purpose - firmware downloads.

My strong suggestion is that if you want all of these additional features and behaviors, that you create an entirely new client rather than attempt to coerce this one to do something for which it wasn't designed.

The /lib/libtorrent.so is pretty conventional, so it should be pretty straightforward to find and cross-compile a more complete client.

13 (edited by Beastlykings 2008-03-25 17:20:22)

Sorry, well I'm not to good at that kinda stuff, so I guess until someone else does it and gives me an easy way to use it. Until then, I'm not complaining. Just trying to use what I am capable of using, to the full.

EDIT: @gingerbeardman, Hmm, no go on the debugchumby script. When it starts torrenting it pauses (or halts or something) the startup process so the control panel can't download until whatever your downloading finishes and chumbytorrent stops. So that won't work..

gingerbeardman wrote:

What's the best of running chumbytorrent on a standalone Chumby? I can't run it in background with & because nothing gets downloaded. Running it in foreground requires me to keep my Mac on with terminal open.

You can use trap to get the shell to ignore the HUP signal:

$ trap '' 1
  $ chumbytorrent foo.torrent

The torrent will continue downloading if you close the terminal window.

To stop it (from another shell):

$ killall chumbytorrent

awesome, thanks mjs! wink

since the bittorrent client, that came with the firmware isn't supported anymore, is there any other? like transmission?