Re: Yet another good-night script

Thanks for posting this.  I never could get the original to work consistantly, but your version works well so far.

Sorry for what is likely a straight-forward question (I'm new to this whole situation), can someone tell me what the Crontabs entry would be to have the script listen from 10:00pm through to Midnight?  This time frame covers my usual sleep schedule, but I'm unclear about what the entry should be.

Thanks in advance for the help...

Have you tried www.google.com ?

My puppies: Night Clock

Yes, I've tried google... and I understand the format of the cron job entry for the most part. 

Currently my entry is:

*/10 22-23 * * * /psp/scripts/goodnight_chumby

I'm just unclear if an entry with time set to 22-23 is inclusive of the 10:00pm through to 11:59pm, or if the time span is from 10:00 to 11:00 (I would like my 'listening' window for the script to be a bit longer than an hour is that's the case).

I'm not a cron expert but I would suppose 10-11 is the same as 22-23 as that is how the rest of the world would look at it. wink

I'm probably farther from a Cron expert than you (something I'm sure you've gathered by now)... can you confirm what effect the * in the first column (minutes) would have on the end time of the script?  Would it stop listening at 11:00pm (23), or 11:59pm (* 23)?? 

Can you confirm that my entry will allow me to turn my music on between 10:00pm and Midnight on any given day and wake up to it being shut off.

57 (edited by Krazz 2008-12-01 13:11:53)

Well, if you want it to work between 10.00pm and 12.00am then why not set it to 22-00 (since 00 is the same as 12am). Or if you want to be certain the script works on laaaate nights (or early mornings) I guess you could put 22-04 covering some of the time in the morning as well. Or if you are like me and like to listen to music in the morning, set it to 22-07 perhaps.

This is where I found my information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cron

Cool, thanks for the link.  I'll give your suggestion a try and maybe run a couple more tests to see exactly how things are functioning based on my cron entry.

Thanks again.