Topic: Widget configuration & server dialogs

2 Questions about widgets:

Q1. When we post a widget (http://www.chumby.com/mywidget/addwidget - must be loged), at the end we are asked for "configure widget - (optional) lets user configure widget, must be a Flash movie, 320x240".

What is it supposed to be, and how it works ? I guess this is the API you briefly talk about here (http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=83, second post). Can you develop it a little, or it is already explained somewhere else and I missed it ?

Q2. About storing datas on server side. Do we have to store at Chumby.com, or we can do it on our own server (and then you have no control possible of what's going on) ?

tongue

Re: Widget configuration & server dialogs

I'll have an example of a configurable widget up on the wiki sometime in the next day or so.

Basically, you supply a second movie, which will run on the website, which is passed information about the current settings of the widget.  You build a UI to configure the widget, and when the user accepts the settings, you store them back to the server.

You are welcome to store the settings wherever you wish, however, you'll probably still need to store *something* on our server in order for the widget to know what settings to send to what widget.  You'll obviously also need to provide the necessary access rights (using crossdomain.xml) to allow the widget to access the data.

An example of a configurable widget is "Horoscopes" - when you add the widget to the widget mix, you'll see it has a "configure" link - if you click that, you'll get a dialog that lets you select your sign.  Some other configurable widgets are Flickr, Google News, and MySpace.

A widget should be able to do something rational even if the user does not configure it - for instance, an unconfigured Horoscope widget will show a random sign, an unconfigured Flickr widget shows the "Everybody" feed, etc.

Ok, I'll wait for your exemple to see where to store configuration datas.
Thanks

tongue

OK, I've put up a simple example - you type a line of text in the configuration movie on the website, the text shows up on the widget on the chumby:

Sample Banner Widget