Topic: (flash newbie) Managing local network TCP sockets

Hi there,
As I am absolutely unaware of Flash capabilities i post some maybe naive question in the forum:

Does Flash (lite) gives  the user  APIs to connect (active/passive) via TCP and send/receive stuff ?
If the answer is YES, does the Chumby environment permits to do this? I am talking about the 'production' software platform and not some kind of hacked environment (i.e. like having a plain linux system running on chumby's herdware).
thanks in advance!

D.

Re: (flash newbie) Managing local network TCP sockets

No. Flash has some minor file manipulation capabilities (much of which is actually disabled for the Chumby), but past that, it's just a graphics API. I suppose it may be possible to add TCP/IP and UDP/IP layers to Flash Lite using the FSCommand() interface (which was added for Cellphone and small device manufacturers to interface with their hardware), but I'm not sure the Chumbians are considering adding much to that interface.

awalton wrote:

...much of which is actually disabled for the Chumby

Actually we haven't disabled anything there - Flash can read local files, but only if the Flash movie is local to the device, not downloaded.   This is the same behavior as the desktop version of Flash.

Ah, I guess I misinterpreted that part.. I thought it was _all_ movies that can't read local files.

Mental note updated.