Topic: XM Radio?

My girlfriend just got me a Chumby for Valentine's day and so far I love it!

My questions is would it be possible to listen to XM radio on the chumby?  They have an internet radio page: http://xmro.xmradio.com/xstream/index.jsp

You'd just need a widget that would allow you to login with your XM username and password.  Is this possible?  I'd love to be able to wake up to my XM!  Thanks!

Re: XM Radio?

Many people have streamed their XM and Sirius radio from their computers to Chumby via Slimeserver, but no widgets have been made.

see the following link:
http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=650

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Thanks.  I'll look at that.  I may also try and create my own.

id like to see an official Sirius/XM plugin.. The problem with reading the streams (least from Sirius is they autodisconnect after an hour or so of inactivity (changing channels, etc).... if they worked with the manufacturers, they could possibly could make a sweetheart deal and offer the internet streaming of both XM and Sirius similar to the Sonus Zoneplayer having Sirius....It be a cheap way to sell sat radio to all the Chumby people since they dont need additional hardware (most sat radio services have a corresponding internet streaming service;)

joltdude wrote:

id like to see an official Sirius/XM plugin.. The problem with reading the streams (least from Sirius is they autodisconnect after an hour or so of inactivity (changing channels, etc).... if they worked with the manufacturers, they could possibly could make a sweetheart deal and offer the internet streaming of both XM and Sirius similar to the Sonus Zoneplayer having Sirius....It be a cheap way to sell sat radio to all the Chumby people since they dont need additional hardware (most sat radio services have a corresponding internet streaming service;)

Actually the Yahoo widget for Sirius doesn't time out.  But definitely good ideas.

Well, since I have no flash experience the chances of me being able to make one is slim.  Anyone else willing to work on this?  I wouldn't think it would be too difficult.  Or would it be easier to add it to the music section under the Control Panel?

You could simply click on XM/Sirius Radio and enter your username and password.  Kind of like how you have to enter info for SlimServer.

Anyone know how I would go about adding an XM Radio option to the Music section of the Chumby?  I'm thinking that might be easier then making a widget for it.

I've been looking this afternoon on how to make this happen.  I found this website:

http://forums.tversity.com/viewtopic.ph … e6cf5c1412

Which talked about using this URL: http://www.xstreamxm.com/mobile/stream. … speed=high
to listen to XM streams.  You just need to put in your correct username and password. 

Except when I tried to add this as a stream on Chumby it seemed like there must be a limit on the amount of text you can enter because it stopped about right after password.  Is there a limit?  Even if there wasn't would this work??

The problem is that this stream looks to use the Windows Media 9.1 Audio codec, so even if you could put the entire address in it would not work. I would love to get XM on the Chumby, I just do not think it is going to work without using some kind of translator like Slim server or other such program.

I could easily be wrong about this, so someone please correct me if this is the case.

-HuckFinn

So even if someone made a widget for it you don't think it would work?

I looked into it this evening. It is not easy to get .asx streams to play with anything other than Windows media player.

Slimserver is the best solution (although I can't seem to get the patch to work with my comp).

I've been unable to get the XM streams working through my OS X based SlimServer, due to the lack of WMA codecs. You can apparently get the codecs for Linux, but I haven't figured out if/how those can be used under OS X.

With those codecs, SlimServer would convert the streams into something the Chumby could play.

Bummer.

For the people using SlimServer, are you just leaving the XM stream running on the SlimServer all the time?  Or do you hit 'play' on the SlimServer before playing it on the Chumby.   It seems like a hassle to have to do that but I'd also rather not have it running all the time.

For me, SlimServer is always running on my mini. (It's basically the house server, on a UPS with a big external drive and the printer. So it's always on.) On OS X, SlimServer integrates with iTunes, sharing the playlists.

Once you've started playing a stream, which does involve telling the SlimServer to start it up, the stream itself just pauses if I stop playing it on the Chumby, or any other client. (Like the Phoenix WiFi radio I picked up at CompUSA for $60 as they were closing it down.) If I start the Chumby playing it again, the stream will pick up where it left off.

So, it's not like the stream is "playing". The SlimServer software is just waiting for the client to reconnect. It's not hogging bandwidth in the meantime.

Ahh... okay.  I didn't realize that's how it worked.  That makes me feel better.  I'll have to look into that more. 

I haven't yet been successful at getting the XM plugin for Slimserver to work yet but I have gotten the Last.fm one working which is pretty cool.  Thanks for the info!

I run a uSirius server on one desktop at home and stream Sirius all over my house.  It never times out either.  Great little bit of software, and I can stream to my Roku without problem.

Any chance of getting these streams to Chumby?  Two type of urls are given by the uSirius server.  Here are examples:

mms://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:19080/streams/stream?bandwidth=high&num=100&r=12059xxxxx

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:19080/asx/asx?ba … 12059xxxxx

The day I can stream Sirius on my Chumby without jumping through Slimserver hoops will be the day I buy two more of them for my other rooms.

waverider wrote:

The day I can stream Sirius on my Chumby without jumping through Slimserver hoops will be the day I buy two more of them for my other rooms.

I agree completely.  One of the key reasons I asked for a Chumby for my birthday from my wife was because it seemed from the forums that I could listen to my Sirius on my Chumby.  I've tried using SqueezeCenter with no luck. SqueezeCenter sees my Chumby and vice versa, but I can't get anything to play.  I am really disappointed.

Does anyone have a tutorial for getting the Slimserver running on a Mac?  I tried getting it to work on my Mini but can't get any clients to see the server.  Not sure where to start.