Re: New Contol Panel Update

Dunco wrote:

So after 10 posts you are considered a member? ok. But I still can't figure out the difference between version 1.2 and 2.6.70.

"1.2" is the version of the software in the firmware - we recently did an over-the-air update to replace that with "1.4".

"2.6.70" is the version of the Control Panel, which is the application that you see when you hit the top button.

Oh, alright. By the way; are you paid to answer people's questions, Duane?

No, I'm paid to write software - which I should probably be doing smile

Duane wrote:

Yeah - there are open issues with the My Music Files section that require a firmware update to resolve.  If you use "simple" file names (short, no spaces, punctuation, etc) this will work better for you today.  Or you can wait until the firmware is updated -  "soon".

Any word on that update?  I've got almost 9000 (mostly FLAC) tracks sitting on my NAS, all with spaces and punctuation.  I'm not renaming any of them, no matter how much I want to play them on Chumby.

The current 1.4 firmware is supposed to resolve the filename bug in My Music Files.

Please let us know if it doesn't.

Duane,

I just tried a few on a flash drive & they played just fine.  It'd be nice to see the track names or ID3/tag information though, rather than just "Now Playing: Song x of x".

I haven't had any luck playing a stream from either my ReadyNAS NV+ or TVersity, but that may just be an error on my part.  Does Chumby natively support SMB as well, or do I need to hack the kernel?  I'd like to be able point it to an SMB share and play tracks from there (including subfolders).

The CIFS kernel driver is there, however, we don't have smbclient included in the current firmware.  It's not particularly hard to cross-compile.

I'm able to mount samba shares from my NAS and play songs manually, but it'd still be nice to be able to do it through the control panel.  I'm surprised that samba support isn't already in Chumby, considering the overwhelming number of Windows boxes out there.

34 (edited by joltdude 2008-03-03 08:24:54)

Samba is still an iffy thing in Linux land... in theroy they could be sued by Microsoft.....
Plus Samba is going to the new (and crappy) version of the GPL which will cause issues with the Chumby's licensing...

Basically GPL3 prohibits any form of propriatary/content protection... so in the case of the chumby, it would probably collide with possibly the Adobe Flash Light licensing and perhaps even some of the hardware drivers...

Chumby is trying to prevent liability/litigation on their product.. Hence no built in SAMBA. but if the kernel supports CIFS.. thats a safer option...

We haven't ruled out including smbclient in future releases - we've got to make it smaller, though.

We also have to consider the impact on Customer Service - we don't really want to be in the business of supporting misconfigured PCs.