Topic: Audio on chumby

Sorry if this has been covered....

Does chumby have the capability to stream audio? I guess it doesn't have enough memory to download and store it . Just wondering if we will ever be able to listen to podcasts etc. through chumby?

There is no audio content as yet...except for the noises on start up...will there be?

Re: Audio on chumby

The "Hypnotoad" widget produces (weird) audio.

The "Woot!" widget links to a podcast, whcih is streamed, however the widget doesn't normally stay there long enough to hear very much of it.

If you run *just* the "Woot!" widget you can listen to the podcast, since the widget will stay indefinitely.

OK...they are probably the only two I haven't used yet...thanks for that...

Later...just tried them...toad works...woot has no audio.... sad

It says "no podcast" on the screen above the price...

if you have a fast enough internet connection, there isnt really much need to store the stream on the chumby. you dont need as big a buffer if you can download the content.

are there any plans to allow chumby to have SWAP space on an external device, such as a SD card?

need upload space for the forums or a chumby blog? right here then
http://www.nophus.com/useru
username is chumby
password is chumby

Angela wrote:

It says "no podcast" on the screen above the price...

Wait a day or so - Woot sells a different product each day, not all have podcasts.

chedabob wrote:

if you have a fast enough internet connection, there isnt really much need to store the stream on the chumby. you dont need as big a buffer if you can download the content.

are there any plans to allow chumby to have SWAP space on an external device, such as a SD card?

Some streams are open-ended, such as Internet radio stations, and some podcasts can go on for hours.

So no matter what size you allocate for buffering, there will always be something bigger, and adding memory to chumby is expensive.  We certainly can't build around people having to add SIM cards just to hear audio.

If streaming is available, it's always worth using it.

i didnt mean it as a necessity, but to have the option would be nice. havin a bit extra SWAP space could always come in handy, especially for developers with unoptimized code.

if you have a fast enough net connection though,you can decoded, and output, without havin to keep a constant buffer of the content. like on my connection, i only need to buffer 2 seconds of content on my pc, and then it runs from there. theres no need to buffer 30 or 40 seconds.

need upload space for the forums or a chumby blog? right here then
http://www.nophus.com/useru
username is chumby
password is chumby