Topic: My Chumby has a moustachioed screen

Greetings Chumbians,
I have been a happy lurker in the Chumbosphere for going on what must be a year now, and this is the first time I have had a chumbergency important enough to post. Granfaloon (My Chumby) has been a little touchy about his screen since birth, which I assumed to be only natural since he has a touch screen. This shy little Chumby has had his share of little issues with his communication skills (wifi), fevers (overheating), and a nasty penchant for narcolepsy (randomly restarts or shuts down). As a parent, I have taken these in stride. I do not want a perfect child (Chumby). These are part of his personality, and I would not have him any other way. But woe is me, today oh my brothers. Granfaloon had gotten just a few smudges of grime and grease on his face, as kids sometimes do, and my well-meaning girlfriend decided to give him a a cleaning with a disinfectant wipe. Unfortunately Granfaloon must be allergic and has had a terrible, disfiguring rash on his face (screen) ever since. I am no stranger to the less superficial medicine that my Chumby has required thus far, but I am a babe in the woods when it comes to Cosmetic Surgery of this magnitude ( I know naught about touch screens). I have attached an image of little granny and I am curious about the prognosis. Will it require a transplant or worse? Euthanasia? Please help if possible! Thanks in advance for any assistance! Keep in mind that this distortion comes from BELOW the first layer of film (not the protective cover), Is it possible to seperate the layers of his LCD, clean and have him function again?
http://lh6.google.com/colonelkernel/R464cl-lf5I/AAAAAAAAABY/RXWhSye2VqQ/Chumbstache.jpg

Re: My Chumby has a moustachioed screen

Ouch!

Based upon what you've described and what I'm seeing, what it looks like is that the disinfectant wipe had penetrated the outer film and got into the touchscreen mechanism itself. The discoloration, I'm guessing, is actually due to a discoloring of the ITO film inside the touchscreen as it corrodes. Therefore, even if you had hands steady enough to peel the display unit apart and access that internal film layer, I would hazard to say a cleaning alone would not recover the chumby to a usable state, as a chemical reaction has occurred between the cleaner and the critical ITO film that makes the touchscreen work in the first place.

The corrective action required would be to replace the LCD module altogether.....unfortunately, we don't have a program in place to sell replacement parts for chumbys (yet).

7BAA 2E53 01C1 DCFF 497B  E7F0 9699 A303 78F0 D9B9

3 (edited by colonelpanic 2008-01-17 19:08:59)

Re: My Chumby has a moustachioed screen

My hands are nowhere near as steady as they were before I read your message, Mr. (Dr.?) Huang. It is as I had feared then. (Garbled Profanity). If you'll excuse me I have to go and accidentally execute her iPhone.

[Edit]Good guess, bunnie! I had assumed it was between the LCD and the resistive analog film, and it certainly was not. This is why you went to MIT! While recovering from the initial shock (Read: wasting time at work) I found it! http://www.dataimagelcd.com/product/fg/ … 0530ds.htm
I wonder if data image will sell in SUPER small quantities, assuming the Chumby doesn't have a custom version... Boy, looking at the wiki sure would have saved me a lot of time. I'll try that next time.