Topic: 0a on boot

Hi

My chumby suddenly stopped working - I got an 0a in the chumby's eyes on boot.

If anyone else is having this trouble - removing the wifi stick, booting (to 0a), add the wifi stick, boot (again, 0a), and wait... eventually an upgrade / factory settings screen appeared. Going back to normal operation seemed to fix it.

Chumbians - what error is 0a? why did it appear suddenly?

ta
c.

Re: 0a on boot

did you file a support request? you might get a response faster.

need upload space for the forums or a chumby blog? right here then
http://www.nophus.com/useru
username is chumby
password is chumby

The "0a" indicates that your chumby is attempting to download a software update.  Since we don't have any pending updates, this is in error.

When you power-up your chumby while touching the screen - you get to a "safe mode" screen, which will give you the option to restart the chumby in "normal" mode.  This clears the "update pending" flag.

If this behavior continues, please file a service request.

For what it's worth, we've had this happen a couple of times as well.

5 (edited by Angela 2006-09-26 21:24:08)

Me too. But switching on and off (without touching the screen) resolved it immediately.

It was a scary moment given chumbys are few and far between!

The death of chumbelina would be devastating tongue

Could someone explain the wifi stick/dongle part to me? People have referred to this a couple of times. Is this something on the daughtercard??? Mine doesn't seem to have a removable anything...Duane suggested mounting it externally for my metal lunchbox chumby project but I didn't understand. Explain it to me like you would a six year old!  *confuzzled*

^^

i think its on the back of the mainboard, behind the screen. theres a picture of it on the wiki, or on chumby.com

username is chumby
password is chumby

If you pull the computer from the Chumby outerwear (not exactly sure how this is done, not owning one), you should find that there is a small USB dongle on the back of the Chumby motherboard, along side the 9V used for battery backup. It looks like a thumbdrive, but it's a wireless modem.

If you wanted to mount it on the outside of your lunchbox, you'd need to move the USB port, or use the port on the daughtercard inside of the Chumby unit (I have no idea what this looks like, either, as they haven't posted the schematics, and none of the pictures I've seen of Chumby actually has a picture of what the daughtercard looks like).

^^

if you got a usb extension lead, youd be ok. you might need to shorten it though.

you could possibly mount an external arial, or desolder the existing one, attach a wire to it, and then mount it somewhere out of the way of the rf shield.

or,(not sure if this is a good idea), connect the existing arial to the case, and then use the case as the aerial. its crazy, but youd get a wicked signal tongue

username is chumby
password is chumby

i feel *evil* torturing you two like this

while i'm enjoying my widgets, the hardware is a bit wasted on me, i'm afraid

i found the wifi dongle...thanks a...

chedabob...i'm not confident enough to do what you suggested unfortunately...never know I could get more adventurous over the next 12 months given time to play...i'm currently impressed with my ability to install a wireless card in my tower and build a circuit that makes pretty lights flash...so you get the gist of the level of my skills...i am making an effort to get up to speed to some degree at least!! i'm aiming to graduate to microcontrollers before the year is out

i was thinking about the case as an aerial too...again not sure on the safety aspects here....have you seen the aerials people have made out of Chinese deep fryer baskets? pretty cool...nice to take to the park with a laptop on a sunny day tongue

i'll run it by chumbyHQ and see if i am permitted to email some pics of my chumby's innards to satisfy your curiosity...totally up to them...

have you seen the motherboard pic on bunnie's blog?

^^

yeah, cos there was a mention of the simcard slot on another thread.

heres an idea:

dent a logo into the top of the lunchbox, and then run the wifi dongle into there, and then put a plastic logo or something over it. it would get the dongle above the shield, without too much effort.

username is chumby
password is chumby

I am having a similar problem, my chumby will lock up sparatically, only after a few minutes of use. When I reboot, I get Oa. Then not even removing the dongle and restarting works. The only way I can get it to work again, is to restore factory settings.

Any other fix?

I'd log in an ssh session and monitor the memory usage to see if one of the widgets is leaking memory, using 'top'.

13 (edited by zachninme 2007-03-03 13:52:50)

Thanks for the tip wink

It might have been me ssh'ing it that caused the lockup.
However, I noticed that my grapher widget, if you really shake the chumby a lot, can cause CPU to climb. However, none of them ate up memory.