Topic: Turning back on after a power outage

I want to use a Chumby primarily as an alarm clock, but unlike a good alarm clock, the Chumby does not come back on after a power outage.  Is there any easy mod that can be done so it would turn back on when the power comes back on?  I'd be fine if Chumby was always powered up when plugged in, and the reset would just reboot it.

Re: Turning back on after a power outage

ditto - Auto power on is essential for the alarm clock reliability

It should be possable, Looking at the chumby specs, it is a software switch, It could be possable to implememt in the Firmware *mabey*

Well, back in the day, chumby did power itself back on again, but the majority of the team thought that it was not intuitive power button behavior to have that happen (I don't personally understand the logic so I can't defend it, but I was also the odd man out on this one), so we changed the chumby to not do that. I guess it was one of those battles that just can't be won.

Modifying the power-on behavior of the chumby can be done by modifying the cryptoprocessor (CP) codebase and reflashing the CP device. This is not something that an automatic firmware update can do, unfortunately, so it will require you to open up your chumby and connect a JTAG cable to it. The CP does all the power management for the chumby, including monitoring the power-on state of the device and watching the power button. If you do this, be careful to flash only the F0 bank of flash, otherwise you will overwrite your crypto keys and you'll lose your chumby configuration profile (keys are kept in the F1 bank, you should be able to configure your JTAG burner to leave it alone). There's a unique ID in there and if everyone starts setting it to say, all FF's (like it would if it were just erased) then you'd all be contending for the same unique ID, which would make it impossible for you to use your chumby with the chumby network.

Of course, that's the "Big Hammer" way of fixing the problem. There's another solution, which currently chumby is planning on implementing in a firmware update, but I'm not yet sure when the feature is going to be released. The CP has built into it a failsafe facility that wakes up and resets the chumby some number of seconds into the future (assuming that there is either a battery installed or the DC power source is available at that time). Thus, the idea is that when you set an alarm in userland, you would also set the CP failsafe to wake up and reset the chumby a few minutes after the alarm. If the power did go out overnight then, what would happen is the chumby would be off for the rest of the night, but at the scheduled alarm time it would reboot and then sound the alarm. The reason why you want to set the CP alarm to be a few minutes after the scheduled alarm is you want to be able to clear the CP alarm flag if the normal alarm does fire, so that the chumby isn't reset during "normal" conditions.

The other option, of course, if you have small power outages is to take the beads out of the bottom of the chumby bag and put a 9V battery in there. It's designed to tie the chumby through brief power outages overnight--it doesn't have enough juice to power the chumby for any extended period of time, e.g. walking around the house while the chumby is active. Again, the current Insiders' chumby firmware lacks the software to control the on-battery behavior: the current behavior just leaves the chumby on until the battery is drained and then the system malfunctions and does silly things, instead of shutting itself off when the battery is too low for proper software operation. We also haven't advocated widely putting in the 9V battery because we haven't been able to write up the "how-to" guide on doing it. Many users are trying to leave the beads in, or they are distorting the leather cases, so that the control panel switch is permanently pushed down by the leather case, which is a problem. However, generally if you have a gentle finger and you remember to remove the beads, you should be okay installing the battery.

Once the feature is coded into the firmware, what's supposed to happen is that within a few seconds of power loss, the chumby will stay on, but then will eventually turn itself off to avoid running down the battery. This way, if the power is still out at your wakeup time, there is enough juice left in the battery to sound the alarm and wake you up.

I'm afraid to say that all these features are still in development in the firmware, so standby...it will get fixed.

7BAA 2E53 01C1 DCFF 497B  E7F0 9699 A303 78F0 D9B9

Thanks Bunnie, I was hoping it was much more simple, I do not want to take apart my Chumby (I have grown attached to this one). In the near future I may buy another one for hacking purposes

Ugh. Seriously? I'm sorry but that lack of foresight is pretty bad. To me, the Chumby was billed more like an alarm clock on steroids and to not see this feature as being imperative to the operation is boggling. So, I'm hoping that someone will do this reflash for a small fee since I don't feel like bricking my Chumby making it do something that it should have been setup for all along.

bunnie wrote:

Well, back in the day, chumby did power itself back on again, but the majority of the team thought that it was not intuitive power button behavior to have that happen (I don't personally understand the logic so I can't defend it, but I was also the odd man out on this one), so we changed the chumby to not do that.

Well apparently you're no longer the odd man out.  To me the "Power button" would be more useful as a "Reset button."  But since it is software controlled, you could have it act as a hybrid of both.

1. When plugged in, Chumby turns completely "on".
2. When the Chumby is "on", the button operates as a reset button.
3. Have a software only method to turn the chumby "off", basically only have the CP running (assuming this is basically what happens when it is initially plugged in), in this case the Button would act as a power button.  When the button was pressed or a timer went off it would boot up and go back to acting like a reset switch (2).  If power was lost, it would act like it was just plugged in (1).

On the plus side is you no longer have to ask people to do the extremely difficult and time consuming task of pressing a small button on the back to turn it on.  No longer will people's time needlessly wasted, their fingers hurt, and their job's lost by the inadequate use of that nefarious button!  Somebody please think of the fingers!

I also would vote to have the Chumby "always on" unless explicitly turned off via on-screen controls.  We have power failures several times a year, and it's sad to wake up to a black-screened Chumby. 

Just curious: would shorting the switch create an "always on" Chumby, or does it rely on the transition to turn on?  I remember some of the Mac II's had a feature in the momentary action power switch to avoid this.  You could give the pushbutton a half turn, and it'd be forced into the always-on position.

but the majority of the team thought that it was not intuitive power button behavior...

Maybe you should trip the main breaker at Chumby HQ this afternoon...that might change their minds!

another vote for auto power-on!  agh!

I see a market emerging for Chumby UPSes....

wayn3w

I have my Chumby plugged into a battery backup similiar to the Energizer ER-Photo. This has worked really well for me and is pretty much a "Chumby UPS" plus adds the ability to move it from room to room without plugging it in.

-HuckFinn

Do you have a link to product information about your battery backup?

13 (edited by huckfinn 2008-03-05 14:32:56)

The one I am using is not publicly available, but the Energizer ER-Photo is available at Best Buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp … 5267958584

and if you search the forums and/or wiki you can find some more Chumby related reviews/discusions of this product,

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=1254

-HuckFinn

thanks

bunnie wrote:

Well, back in the day, chumby did power itself back on again, but the majority of the team thought that it was not intuitive power button behavior to have that happen (I don't personally understand the logic so I can't defend it, but I was also the odd man out on this one), so we changed the chumby to not do that. I guess it was one of those battles that just can't be won.

<...>

I'm afraid to say that all these features are still in development in the firmware, so standby...it will get fixed.

Is there any update on the implementation of this feature? It is the one thing stopping me from being really ecstatic about my chumby.

16 (edited by eger 2008-07-11 15:02:11)

I am a potential Chumby owner and seeing how this is a super widget controlled alarm clock I can't imagine why it isn't auto-on. I would have thought you could make this a firmware option similar to computers that have the Leave Off, Last State, or Always On for power failures...  Probably won't stop me from buying one. But a strange decision I think.

This feature can certainly be user selectable. A simple thing would be to have it behavior toggle between auto power on and the current version by holding the power button down when plugging it in. Or it could be added to the control panel to set a variable in the CP flash to control which way it works.

I'd like to see it like a PC server, selectable in the control panel as either "on, off, or last-state" when power is provided. Assuming there is some kind of non-volatile memory that the CP can access, that shouldn't be too bad, right?

The crypto processor has no writable store, and cannot access the rest of the device's store, nor can it be upgraded in the field.

20 (edited by muso 2008-07-23 07:48:17)

bunnie wrote:

I don't want to hijack the thread, but is there a release schedule for this (and any other updates), and is it possible that there could be a European release of Chumby with or without the updates?

The few things that make me uncertain about buying a Chumby tomorrow are:
- battery backup & flash storage of any settings/time/alarms, etc, while in use
- that the device hasn't been tested to European standards (I think this is one of the stumbling blocks for a release over here - specifically the UK), and wondered the reasons; particularly with talk about putting a battery in Chumby being not recommended.
- the price (although that doesn't bother me if the other issues are moot - I like the unique style of it.

If it's worth it, I can start a new thread to discuss this further.

It looks to me that it can be upgraded if you have a JTAG wiggler (I do). The code change to make it power up after a power failure is trivial. Figuring out how to make the image is not, at least for me, I'm a hardware guy. smile

You're correct, it is upgradeable in the field if you have the necessary JTAG equipment, and are willing to disassemble the unit.

I should have been more specific - it's not upgradeable in the field using the over-the-air updates, or over USB.

I'm revisiting this because we need a solution of some sort here. I, along with many others, need this device to default to a power on state after power failure. I just had a power failure with a brand new 9V in it and it did not help. I had to power the device back on. I'm sorry, but this is completely unacceptable for an alarm clock and I can't believe this oversight was made. Currently, my Chumby is collecting dust in my kitchen because I can't trust it as an alarm clock. Buying a UPS for it is a kludge at best, and there is no guarantee it will hold up during a long power outage. I think if you made a poll and asked the community in this forum how they'd rather the Chumby handle power outages, the overwhelming response would be that people would rather the Chumby default to a power on state. We need some way to do this. Thank you.

24 (edited by burkhardi 2008-08-12 03:48:35)

Just thinking out loud...
Is there anyway to make a preference page/menu that could be accessed via Chumby's internal web server?

My Roku soundbridge has something like this and the default setting could be "stay off" or "return to last state", but there could be other options too. This may keep both parties happy as in bunnie's post

Regards, Matt

http://i4umcq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pv9QXNzJKxB9J4r27SyxNAuzOLFBgvJna8Hd0ndTfo3mSfUwu8n39ePznb1Q_PcTlftdjiSwPzbA/M1001SC.jpg

Bunnie, could you get one of the people who didn't think that the Chumby turning itself back on after a power outage, like most of my other electronics (and most assuredly my pre-Chumby alarm clock) was MORE intuitive than the expected behavior to write something up explaining why? I really can't wrap my head around the idea that not turning itself back on is more intuitive than turning itself back on.