1 (edited by ievolve 2007-12-25 00:51:39)

Topic: Major chumby widget outage?

Is it just me or are about 80% of the widgets on the chumby showing network errors and not able to connect to their respective services?  It seems as though they are having a hard time consuming RSS feeds?  Take a look through the news widgets and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Maybe santa brought some new servers that are being put into production?

At any rate the timing couldnt be worse for me as this years chumby is the replacement for last years estarling (joke of a photo frame) from thinkgeek.  Another tech gift that doesnt pass the wife test is going to be yet another chink in my armor smile

Re: Major chumby widget outage?

Same thing is happening to me!  When I read this I looked over and noticed that Clocker had just stopped..um...clock-ing?  I also have been getting some random freezes too!
-Gigman

Weird thing is that most of the widgets, although they appear to be broken on the via the web, work just fine on the chumby itself. (like the ews feeds for example)

I did see some random freezes as well, but that was when I was using the beta control panel (seems the fireplace widget always locked me up?)  things are much more stable back on the regular production control panel.

To my knowledge, there is no major widget outage.  All of our feeds are working properly.  Also, this is not happening on anyone else's chumbys.  Have you checked out your internet connectivity, is it running any slower than normal?

As I said before, the problem appears not to be on the chumby but on the previews via the web.  If you take a look at the ones in the news category specifically you will see the errors I am talking about. (eg. http://www.chumby.com/guide/widget/digg)  Most of them are showing "network error" but seem to work fine on the chumby itself.

thanks for pointing this out, and it was indeed isolated to *only* the Virtual Chumby and *only* to a few specific widgets.

without going into the gory detail, flash player 9 [at least for OS X] has a bug in it where it ignores the crossdomain.xml
file unless the server sends the proper MIME type along with it.  i've updated our config, tested it, and now the
Virtual Chumby is happy again.

/mdkail