51 (edited by robert88 2009-01-14 21:29:25)

Re: Got Ethernet working over USB dongle

Menxit wrote:

Is there a way go get the ethernet running without a USB Flash drive?
Is there a file I can add or modify to make this permanent?

-Menxit

I made a post about how to do it here: http://www.robertwoodward.com/index.php/12.html

Basically, I modify the startup file of Chumby, this can be very dangerous, so only do it if you really know what you are doing. (AKA: You don't accidentally delete something that you're not suppose to!)

Here is how you can do it:

1. Boot up your Chumby with internet access and enable SSH on your Chumby.
2. Login to your Chumby via SSH (User: root)
3. Run the command: mkdir /psp/rfs1
4. Run the command: cp /etc/init.d/rcS /psp/rfs1/rcS
5. Open up vi on the file /psp/rfs1/rcS and delete about the first 40 lines (In other words delete everything through:
if [ -x /psp/rfs1/rcS ]; then
  /psp/rfs1/rcS
  exit
fi
The first line should now be: echo "Starting udevd as daemon")
6. Find in the file "# run any scripts for debug configuration of chumby from a USB thumb drive"
7. Before that line add:
insmod /drivers/usbnet.ko
insmod /drivers/asix.ko
udhcpc -t 5 -n -p /var/run/udhcpc.eth0.pid -i eth0
ifconfig rausb0 inet 127.0.0.1
/usr/chumby/scripts/sync_time.sh
8. Reboot your Chumby and it should work!

Also, if any firmware updates does come out, make SURE you delete /psp/rfs1/rcS BEFORE installing the update...  Else it might cause some issues!

The next release of the firmware will have support for USB wired Ethernet.

Can I make a small request for the next firmware release -

Can you add support for the Apple USB to Ethernet adapter? It is the smallest, and best looking device on the market from what I can find. No idea why every other company thinks ugly big dongles are nice.

My research tells me it uses the same chip and drivers as the Linksys USB200M; it's just that the driver code doesn't have the vendor/product IDs for the Apple device in it yet. See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/232200

(A naive 'know nothing about the linux kernel' question - Why are the vendor/product IDs hardcoded in code rather than in a text file somewhere? Surely that would be more practical given how often new devices are released using similar/same hardware, but with different IDs.)

Typically, the vendor/product code is how the driver determines the chipset being used - and often the driver needs access to this information before there's a file system available from which to read a text file.

I'll let the driver guys know about this device - it should make it into the next firmware release.

Duane, I couldn't wait. I recompiled the driver with the change in it smile

If anyone's interested in getting the Apple USB-to-Ethernet adapter working, see here http://driveactivated.com/blog/archive/ … h-way.aspx

56 (edited by b75269 2009-03-26 20:58:09)

Interesting situation:

I have the TU-ET100C dongle.

My chumby will freeze when both the usb drive and usb ethernet dongle are attached at work.   It simply seems to not be able to move forward.

At home it works like a dream over ethernet... and I have confirmed that it does not know how to connect to my wifi networks.... it is going over ethernet:  IP: 127.0.0.1... so i know that chumby has been effectively tricked!

It is a unfiltered DSL line out of the building so it should not be an issue... not going over internal secure network... If I connect a laptop the DHCP works just like you would expect.  It is issued an IP without issue.

I wonder if anyone out there has a suggestion as to how to proceed.   Perhaps is there some type of router that would know to not assign an IP to certain devices?  Some other form of subterfuge? 

I appreciate any and all feedback!