Re: Got Ethernet working over USB dongle

Chumbymatt wrote:

To clarify.  This will still be considered  an 'Easter Egg'

Are there any plans to support USB Ethernet on a "non-Easter Egg" basis?  I would think it would be pretty easy to code the Chumby to look for a USB Ethernet device (a Chumby-sanctioned device, of course) and allow that to be selected when prompted for a network connection instead of just the wireless stuff.  This would be really, really useful for those of us who want to bring it to work...

Duane wrote:

Yes, we found why it broke, and have a fix in Engineering - it now goes to QA and once approved, gets scheduled for a future firmware update.

Just wondering, has this new firmware been released yet?

dmatsumoto wrote:
Duane wrote:

Yes, we found why it broke, and have a fix in Engineering - it now goes to QA and once approved, gets scheduled for a future firmware update.

Just wondering, has this new firmware been released yet?

Don't think so - you can get it though by getting the "Beta" firmware on the Chumby page, but I'm hesitant to do this - I'll just wait until its released.  I hope the future versions support wired Ethernet by default instead of using the Easter Egg setup...

nick.couchman@yahoo.com wrote:

Don't think so - you can get it though by getting the "Beta" firmware on the Chumby page, but I'm hesitant to do this - I'll just wait until its released.  I hope the future versions support wired Ethernet by default instead of using the Easter Egg setup...

I just want to get wired ethernet going whether or not it requires a hack.  Thanks for posting about the beta firmware, I'll give that a shot.  I'm tired of having a useless Chumby on my desk that can only display the time (and only the incorrect time, at that).  smile

I'm not sure which "beta" firmware is being referred to - we don't beta firmware at the moment.

Duane wrote:

I'm not sure which "beta" firmware is being referred to - we don't beta firmware at the moment.

Ok, thank you for informing me of this.  Do you know when a version will be released that will allow me to us my TU-ET1000, with or w/o the chumbydebug solution?

My current guess is late May, early June.  There are lots of other changes, and the build is currently working its way through QA.

Im thinking having a ethernet port would be plain out useful not just for the working set and those like me with wifi reception issues, but it also makes sense from a debugging point of view, so that you can eliminate wifi as an issue with users having problems with their chumby... (looks for an antenna and a high power wifi dongle to fit the back of his chumby) At some point id like to see it go from an easter egg to a supported option.. Perhaps mebby the chumby store selling a "supported" set of dongles....

34 (edited by readability 2008-05-23 07:22:54)

So in summary there's no way to get usb ethernet working with firmware 1.4 or greater? and that it will be working again in version 1.6 that's going to be released sometime in the next month?

if you understand what you're doing, you're not learning anything

Correct.  There's currently no workaround because the bug involved is in the USB driver, not a matter of scripting.

36 (edited by readability 2008-06-05 14:22:14)

Hello all,

Following the procedure here;
http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=13932#p13932

followed by what's here;
http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index. … d_Ethernet

I was able to get wired Ethernet with the Trendnet USB dongle working on firmware v1.5

Thanks to Ken for posting the patch to fix the broken usb driver.

Note: I was using the chumby all day today with no problems

I'd really like to test this, but don't have the time right now to set up toolchain and rebuild the kernel with the 1.6-usb-driver.patch.

Is there a way someone can officially post to files.chumby.com just the k1.bin.zip file from this process, then we can follow the rest of the instructions here:
http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index. … rnel_image
and here

to test this out?  I suspect team chumby would appreciate the feedback from more people, if we can easily get it installed.

gadgetinspector wrote:

I'd really like to test this, but don't have the time right now to set up toolchain and rebuild the kernel with the 1.6-usb-driver.patch.

Is there a way someone can officially post to files.chumby.com just the k1.bin.zip file from this process, then we can follow the rest of the instructions here:
http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index. … rnel_image
and here

to test this out?  I suspect team chumby would appreciate the feedback from more people, if we can easily get it installed.

at your own risk: http://readability.googlepages.com/k1.bin.zip

I'd really like to get a couple dozen chumby units for an office situation but there is absolutely NO WIFI in the facility.  Just adding a second ethernet port is a bit of an adventure (requiring a cheapie switch in the room).   But wifi is totally out of the question.  So a painless way to add a wired chumby would go a long way toward making it a bit more palatable in environments that forbid wifi.

Along those lines, there isn't anyone making a two port switch on a USB dongle, is there?

I saw a posting in one of the other forums... could the USB dongle support be widened for other RT dongles..

quote here:
I got a chumby that was broken from Mr. Hiroki of the Japanese branch.
But I recovered it.

And, in Japan, we cannot just use chumby by the problem of the Wireless Telegraphy Act.

But we can use another wireless USB dongle that passed Wireless Telegraphy Act.

Please add this patch to rt73-chumby-1.5.0.tar.gz at next update.

# diff -Naur rtmp_def.h.org rtmp_def.h
--- rtmp_def.h.org      2008-06-12 10:53:33.000000000 +0900
+++ rtmp_def.h  2008-06-12 10:58:22.000000000 +0900
@@ -852,6 +852,7 @@
  {USB_DEVICE(0x07d1,0x3c03)}, /* D-Link */  \
  {USB_DEVICE(0x13b1,0x0023)}, /* Linksys */  \
  {USB_DEVICE(0x13b1,0x0020)}, /* Linksys WUS54GC */ \
+ {USB_DEVICE(0x04bb,0x093d)}, /* I-O DATA WN-G54/USB */ \
  {USB_DEVICE(0,0)}} /* end marker */

Hi,
I am trying to get my Chumby working on my corporate network (at work) and I am using the Linksys USB200M.
It works great at home, but at the office it seems does not work.  It may be aborting on the 'udhcpc -t 5 -n -p /var/run/udhcpc.eth0.pid -i eth0' command, not sure....
What would be the best way to debug what is going on?
My office does not have wireless, so I am not able to SSH into the device to debug the issue.  I think it would all have to be done from the debugchumby script.
I have added debug to the debugchumby script of the form:

udhcpc -t 5 -n -p /var/run/udhcpc.eth0.pid -i eth0
    ifconfig > /mnt/usb/net-status.txt
    route >> /mnt/usb/net-status.txt

to see if I can diagnose the problem from my PC, but it never creates the files on the USB thumb drive.  I know it is not a problem with the thumb drive as the files are created when I run at home.  My assumption is that the 'udhcpc -t 5 -n -p /var/run/udhcpc.eth0.pid -i eth0' is causing the script to abort perhaps.

Any help is appreciated.

Bear in mind, your office network may or may not be configured to allow any old device to connect to it.  It's entirely possible for a network to be configured to offer DHCP addresses ONLY to devices that have be configured ahead of time at the DHCP server. 

As with any office, it's important (in a "keep your job sort of way") to make sure you have appropriate permission to be connecting any devices to the company's network.  Many offices, rightly so, have strict policies regarding this, especially in regard to wireless.  If they don't allow wifi it's not unlikely they have other restrictions in place (be they technical or policy).  So get a heads up from whomever runs the network to see if anything would be preventing it from working.

Also, when putting together scripts like this that write to a USB dongle, it's a good idea to add a "sync" command to be sure the changes to the file system are properly flushed to the device.  Otherwise, you may find that when you power off the chumby or simply pull out the dongle, the data isn't actually there.

Hi,
Thanks for the help, but I now have another question.
If I wish to use the Ethernet dongle, but need to have a static IP address, what would be the changes I need to make to the debugchumby script?
I presume the

udhcpc -t 5 -n -p /var/run/udhcpc.eth0.pid -i eth0

is not required, but do I just replace it with

ifconfig eth0 10.8.XXX.XXX

Thanks

Yea!  Latest released firmware fixes the USB networking via dongle.  I have it working with the TRENDNET USB-Ethernet adapter.

I am using it with the simple debugchumby file from the chumby wiki page placed on a USB key and these work:

#!/bin/sh
/sbin/udhcpc
ifconfig rausb0 127.0.0.1

NOTE that if you don't use the debugchumby file on a USB flash drive - it won't work.  Sure would be nice if a future firmware could autodetect the USB network dongle and work without a flashdrive and custom debugchumby file.  Alas, I suspect with all the other tricks you can do with a flashdrive attached, I'll have one attached anyway - so it's not that big a deal.

Thank you chumby for getting this back!

Is there a way go get the ethernet running without a USB Flash drive?
Is there a file I can add or modify to make this permanent?

BTW: THANK YOU chumby for fixing the ethernet, my chumby can now visit me at work.

-Menxit

Even after the 1.6 update I still cannot connect via the trendnet ethernet adapter.  I have the debugchumby on the attached usb drive and still no luck.  It always prompts for a wireless network and if the wireless isn't there, it doesn't seem to work at all.  How do I get it to look for internet access on the trendnet adapter and not on the wireless card?

Thanks

Ryan

48 (edited by Fake_Name 2008-09-01 01:08:21)

compuryan wrote:

Even after the 1.6 update I still cannot connect via the trendnet ethernet adapter.  I have the debugchumby on the attached usb drive and still no luck.  It always prompts for a wireless network and if the wireless isn't there, it doesn't seem to work at all.  How do I get it to look for internet access on the trendnet adapter and not on the wireless card?

Thanks

Ryan

Same Here, with the trendnet adapter

I can connect over the ethernet adapter. However, the boot sequence borks without the Wireless dongle. After reinstalling the wireless dongle, and ssh-ing into my chumby, rausb0 is indeed configured to 127.0.0.1

Is is possible that the method used to verify the presence of the rausb0 adapter has changed?

BusyBox v1.6.1 (2008-07-24 11:14:52 PDT) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

chumby:~# ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:14:D1:13:C3:BF
          inet addr:10.1.1.115  Bcast:10.1.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:891 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:747 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:706719 (690.1 KiB)  TX bytes:71385 (69.7 KiB)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:71 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:71 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:10457 (10.2 KiB)  TX bytes:10457 (10.2 KiB)

rausb0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:12:0E:6F:AD:31
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Bcast:127.0.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:82 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:1331 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:8544 (8.3 KiB)  TX bytes:93310 (91.1 KiB)

chumby:~#

Something is happening because my chumby loses connectivity via Trendnet adapter, too.  This is what the debugchumby file says on the USBkey:

#!/bin/sh
/sbin/udhcpc
ifconfig rausb0 127.0.0.1
/usr/chumby/scripts/sync_time.sh

When I power on, I get the circles screen, the speaker clicks, I then see chumby with the bubble sound, the trendnet activity light flickers, it says downloading control panel, initializing, checking network status, authorizing, - then I see Set Date and time.

It then runs for a while, but loses connectivity and has to be rebooted.  I just rebooted at 1055am on 9/3 and will let you know the next time it loses connectivity.

I'm having the exact same issue with the Trendnet adapter working sometimes, but not always. Once I do manage to get it connected and working it randomly disconnects hours or days later. Not sure what the problem is. Does anyone have any suggestions?