1 (edited by netguy 2007-11-19 12:46:10)

Topic: Feature request: Virtual Chumby without the case

I'd like to request a version of "Virtual Chumby" that doesn't include a virtual outer case. 

I don't expect that this would entail a lot of work.  It appears it would be just a minor modification of the virtual-chumby Flash code to simply lose the case and have the player sized to just fit the widgets without a case around them.

This would make Virtual Chumby much more suited for embedding in a web page designed for other small-screen devices that support Flash (eg. iPhone/iTouch, SmartPhones, etc).  Without the case it would be possible to create a web page such that, when loaded on the device, it would effectively turn the device into a part-time Chumby.  It would also be possible to seamlessly incorporate a virtual Chumby into other software designs such as PC screensavers.

I believe this would benefit Chumby Industries by promoting their channel streams and by introducing Chumby to a wider audience who would then come to the Chumby site to configure their personal widget channel. 

It is also my understanding from posts here that little if any profit will be coming from selling Chumby hardware and that increasing the number of views of the "Chumby Network" stream is the underlying goal.

How much does it cost to access the Chumby Network?

Access to the Chumby Network is FREE. No subscriptions to pay, no plans to sign up for. It's paid for by Chumby Industries and by sponsor companies who will be sending you widgets such as music, games, movie previews, customized alarm clocks, and special offers for products and prizes (called "Chumbooty" — coming soon), and who knows what else the future holds? Chumby Industries is 100% dedicated to keeping your widget channels new, intriguing, fun and FREE.

I hope you will agree that a caseless Virtual Chumby would not only be an acceptable use of the Chumby Network, it would actually be of great value and benefit to Chumby Industries.

Thank you for considering my request.

p.s.  If it is true that 'The chumby is "open" for tinkering in every way', then please also consider releasing the Flash source code for Virtual Chumby so that the community could extend it and simulate features such as a virtual accelerometer and bend sensor, to give Virtual Chumby users the full experience.  And with open source code the community might also innovate new Virtual Chumby features that Chumby Industries haven't even imagined yet.  Thanks.